Friday, May 18, 2012

My Wife Can't Sleep

Late at night I listen 

To my wife moving around in
our kitchen,
Floor boards groaning,
Pans burning, mixer
Mixing.

Or the sound of the TV,
My wife watching
Another Nazi documentary.

My wife sympathizes
With the holocaust victims,
Dozing on the couch
To the screams and churning
Crescendo
Of a war-ravaged ghetto
Flickering
Across the screen.

Like the pain is not to be seen,
But digested internally
And executed in the kitchen.

She gets up when I go to bed
And begins her routine,
Heating the oven to 350 degrees, 
Baking tiny cupcakes
And chunky brownies.
My wife says
It isn’t what it seems, but
She won’t come to bed 

Until the night is half dead,
And her bread is baked
Just right.

I feel her presence
Early in the morning,
Quietly,
Almost in mourning,
Offering me
A bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment