Sunday, May 6, 2012

I Read You Were Lost

I read you were lost,
Sitting on my bed
Too drained
From my daughter's 
Good-bye.

I couldn’t stop
Reading.  It will be
months,
Before she's back 
In our lives.

On a tropical beach
Clouds streaming
Across a salt-filled sky.
You and a friend,
Smiling miles wide.

I see the unusual wave
Breaking the surf,
Overwhelming you both,
Catching you
By surprise.

It pulls you under,
Trapped in the
Churning salt water
And the embrace
Of a deadly riptide

Carrying you swiftly,
Condemned
To the surging current,
Racing alongside the
Pacific shoreline.

A surfer snares
Your friend, 
Grasping her hand,
Frantic
In the rolling tide.

You struggle
Through the swells,
Desperate, 
To break the pull,
Time after time.

In the end, she
Thought you grasped
A rocky outcropping, 
But no one knows
If you’re alive.

For me, a message
Read and re-read.
I pray you survive.
Later, lying in bed,
I know you die.

I never knew you,
Though I'm told we
Met in Costa Rica.
I don't recall you 
Walking by, I tried.

I read you were
Of Indian descent.
A student scholar
Who loved the
Adventurous life,

Just like my daughter,
Your lives are special. 
These things can't happen.
I think of my daughter
Smile miles wide.

No comments:

Post a Comment